Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Burned Out Session with Some Korean Primary Students

Blankly staring across the room
The young ones' eyes are asking,
"Why are there endless talks just like
our piling homework?"
In my heart I say, "Sorry, but your
parents want the class that way.
So together, let's get this done.
It's not yet Friday so fun and rest
won't easily come."

In this room when greetings become
a lifeless routine --
I just want to play catch-and-embrace
with these timid souls...
Our lesson would be counting
the ticking of the clock
while holding the hands of
people that we love.

If only classrooms can easily be a lab
for spelling the word "love",
I would spray paint the room red
and just write on the walls
the biggest word that I haven't heard
for a long time --
"I love you."

What's good with students
are their honesty
They won't try to please you
if they're really burned out.
How I wish at work and in real life
I could behave like that...
But then, how?
If I do, what now?

No comments:

Post a Comment